Wednesday, November 25, 2015

#ILookLikeAnEngineer: Emily Goble

The next featured student in our campaign is a young woman who is highly involved at UC San Diego. With her sorority Alpha Omicron Pi, internship, classes and positions as Engineering Senator on A.S. Council as well as VP External of the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), she proves how engineers are not stereotypical anti-social hermits who cannot stop studying.

This is Emily, a junior bioengineering major at the UC San Diego Jacobs School.


Name: Emily Goble
Major: Bioengineering: Bioengineering
Estimated graduation date: June 2017


Why did you choose engineering at UC San Diego?
I chose UC San Diego for a variety of reasons: first, a nationally-ranked engineering program, a beautiful campus in a city I've always wanted to live in, and a large, diverse environment full of opportunities and challenges that I believe have already made me grow as a person.


What are your career goals?
For the longest time, I was determined to become a doctor. While my interests have shifted from medical school to mastering the art of engineering and design, I still want to pursue a career in improving global health and the medical industry. I am currently interning for a global biotechnology company and have found great joy in my work there. It is mentally stimulating, as well as personally meaningful and fulfilling.


Do you have a favorite quote or mantra?
One of my favorite sayings is "bloom where you are planted." I believe that positivity, commitment to constant personal improvement, and perseverance are the most crucial mindsets a person can have.


What are three things about you that make you an individual?
I'm pretty ordinary, but I have some unique interests. I love hiking, skateboarding and making circuit boards. Also, physics is my favorite subject and I really enjoy Taco Tuesday.


What does this campaign mean to you?
This campaign underscores the importance of creating a tolerant, respectful and informed society. No one should ever be made to feel like they can't be successful in a career path because of their gender, race, appearance, sexual orientation or any other part of themselves. Reinforcing stereotypes and stigmas discourages, oppresses, and limits people and their abilities. This campaign draws attention to this fact and will hopefully reduce the use of diminishing language and actions in our society, especially in schools and workplaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment